Friday, March 13, 2009

Bruce Sterling

Darren Waters interviews science fiction writer Bruce Sterling on the BBC website:

"The difficulty with interviewing Bruce Sterling is knowing where to start. His interests range from literature and design culture, to futurism, political activism, micro and macro economics, technology and 11th Century writers."
***
"Sterling is not looking to produce manifestos of the future to try and corral people into making change, despite his strong activist feelings around issues such as the global economy and climate change. He says "I like ideas as abstract constructs. I don't fancy myself as political organiser.

"I am too literary and poetic to be an organiser or rabble rouser. I am an attention philanthropist, always pointing to stuff other people are doing."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7941604.stm